Re: XWin -clipboard and xwinclip bad highlighting behavior

Cary,

Yes, I am aware of the Xdarwin project and I quite often look at their code for ideas. Unfortunately, they have not done anything innovative with clipboard integration. In fact, they are using the cut buffers approach that everyone here complains about whenever I mention it. Futhermore, the original xwinclip used cut buffers and everyone said that that was not the way to do things, so we don't do it that way anymore.

Harold

Cary Jamison wrote:
"Harold L Hunt II" <huntharo at msu dot edu> wrote in message
news:<3E94889E dot 6020005 at msu dot edu>...

I have now realized that the real way to integrate the X and Windows
clipboards is with hooks in the general X server code that call

routines

in the Windows-specific code and so forth. It is highly unlikely that

the clipboard integration will require an X client application, and

this

removes many of the short comings of the current clipboard

application.

For example, the nightmares people have using xwinclip or -clipboard

with XDMCP will go away with server-side code handling the

integration.

I am not sure if the integration would be provided by an X Server
extension or if we would have to have some #ifdef __CYGWIN__ sections

in

the general X server code. In any case, I haven't got time to work on

it and I am unlikely to for months, or even forever. Hopefully

someone

else will find clipboard integration interesting to them.

Do you think Xdarwin has done anything along these lines that would be
of benefit?  I got this idea from the message that was posted here a
couple days ago :
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-04/msg00060.html

They have probably fought some of the same issues and are trying to
genericize their code now.

Cary