xwinclip: non-ascii characters truncate copy/paste

Hi,

My apologies if this has been previously discussed, but have not found a recent reference to this problem.

When copying/pasting text containing non-ascii characters, such as å, or è, or publishers/curly quote marks, etc., when I do the paste the content is truncated stating at where the non-ascii character would have been; neither that character or anything after it is pasted. (I have no way of knowing what was copied into the buffer).

I see this problem when copying/pasting within my linux applications (specifically Mozilla mail) or when I copy from Mozilla Mail to a Windows 95 application like Notepad.

Since a large portion of my correspondence is with non-American people, this is a serious productivity problem for me.

My environment is:

Windows 95 running Cygwin ....
  XFree86-base     4.2.0-1
         -lib      4.2.0-5
         -xserv    4.2.0-28 (that's what it says: 28)
         -xwinclip 4.2.0-8

I am using XDM to get to RedHat Linux 8 which has been kept up to date, using up2date, to just BEFORE the point a couple weeks ago that they screwed things up with the glib disaster. (I feel like I have been Microsoft'ed; my faith in RH has been devastated.)

Any ideas/suggestions or fixes? If more environment info is needed, please advise.

Jay

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: Jay at JaySmith dot com  mailto:Jay at JaySmith dot com
website: http://www.JaySmith.com

Jay Smith & Associates
P.O. Box 650
Snow Camp, NC  27349  USA