Re: can not start 'startx' from the prompt and missing files

| Question 1:
| I am trying to find out why command 'startx' at the prompt gives me an
| error message and won't start the xwindow.  Cygwin1.dll is installed
| only in C:\cygwin\bin.  Below is the error message on the screen.
|
|>$ startx

You should use "startxwin.bat" or "startxwin.sh", depending on from
where you start..

[...]

| Question 2:
|
| My .xinitrc file in my home directory says this.  My question
| is... shouldn't I have the .Xresources and .Xmodmap files in the
| /usr/X11R6/X11/xinit directory also?  I checked and I don't have that
| directory at all.

Who made your .xinitrc file? Normally it is you, the user who does it
if my memory doesn't fail me, or your sysadm, so this is a small
difference in how installations handles this if my memory doesn't fail
me.

    /Andy

--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!