Re: REPOST: -multiwindow so very close to what's really needed....

Biju,

Biju G C wrote:
Early, currenly -rootless option will prevent showing the root window.
(I prefer showing root window as in -multiwindow option but I face some problem while draging in -multiwindow mode)

You should not use -rootless and -multiwindow together. They are not compatible.

Harold,
  can we have an option at "control box menu" of Cygwin/XFree86
  to switch -rootless option on/off

Easy to talk about... but still takes many hours to implement.

Harold

cheers
biju

PS: control box menu :- the menu we see when we right click a taskbar item.
to do "Restore", "Move", "Size", "Close" etc.

--- Harold L Hunt II <huntharo at msu dot edu> wrote:

Early,

Early Ehlinger wrote:

Sorry for the repost - It's been a few days and I haven't seen my original
post show up on the newsserver, so....

OK,

Just installed latest cygwin+Xfree86.  With the -multiwindow option in place
it's *extremely* close to what I really want, which is an X server that
really feels like it's a part of Windows.  Right now it still betrays the
fact that it sits on top of cygwin, which is a shame, IMHO.

Here are the two things that I think keep it from being exactly dead-on:

1. Root Window is still there.

Ideally, when -multiwindow is used, no root window would be visible at all.
No icon in the taskbar, nothing.  I suppose a tray icon would be acceptible,
but would certainly not be preferable.  My reasoning for this is that
Windows already has a root window (the desktop) and to be fully integrated,
X programs should behave like Windows programs and use it.  Or at least,
they should *appear* to use it.  Bottom line, get rid of/hide the root
window in -multiwindow mode and you've made a *huge* step forward.

Ideally, you will be spending a few hours looking at hiding the root window. :) Search the mailing list archives for information on why it is not hidden yet. Also note that MultiWindow mode is still experimental. That is, it is not complete.

Another consequence of this issue is that Cygwin/XFree86 shows up in the
alt+tab list even though you don't do anything with it directly.

2. Applications have the wrong icons

Sure, now I've got my apps all running on the honest-to-goodness Windows
desktop, but they all have the X icon rather than the icons that they would
have on an actual X desktop (e.g., the one in Linux).  This is more of a
cosmetic issue than a functional one, so I'd say that it should get less
priority than the first issue above.

This wouldn't be too tough to implement, but I haven't got time for it.

If somebody wants to point me to the general location in XWin's source, I
wouldn't mind taking a crack at implementing a fix for both of these issues.

First, check the Contributor's Guide, which tells you how to get the source, the architecture of the server (doesn't talk about MultiWindow mode), and how to build the source:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/cg/

Perhaps you are using Cygwin/XFree86 for commercial purposes... if that is the case then I know that either myself, Kensuke Matsuzaki (the developer of MultiWindow mode), or others may be interested in working on these features for a fee. Let us know if you are interested, otherwise we will assume that you are not interested.

Harold

Thanks in advance