Re: X works, but xterm doesn't stay open (solution/bug report)

Ken,

Sounds like you have found a legitimate problem. However, this problem is with Cygwin proper, not with Cygwin/XFree86. As such, it should probably be discussed on the Cygwin mailing list (cygwin at cygwin dot com).

Additionally, you should do a search of the Cygiwn mailing list archives to see if the issue has already been discussed:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/

If not, could you please resend your message to cygwin at cygwin dot com? I would rather that you resend it, as opposed to me forwarding it, since forwarded messages between these lists tend to get ignored.

Thanks for using Cygwin/XFree86,

Harold

Lafond, Kenneth G wrote:
There is a limitation in Cygwin in for userIDs (although it may actually lie
within 'id'). I've found the issue. Here was the problem:

The Cygwin installer gave me a user ID of 190965 (in /etc/passwd). That's
10000 more than in my SID. The group also got 10000 added to it, so I'm
assuming this is a magic number indicating a domain account (which I have -
a LARGE domain). Whenever I tried to log in, I'd always get the error I
described below:
"id: cannot find name for user ID 59893" and " I have no name!@<mycomputer>
$ "
I didn't know where the 59893 was coming from. After much messing around I
noticed that the number in the error tracker the userID. I finally decided
to change my userID to 1 in /etc/passwd to see what number I got back from
'id' - and the whole thing JUST WORKED.

I was suprised, so I did some testing to make sure it works, and then did a
little math:

My ID was 190956, minus the error given 59893 gives:
19065-59893 = 131072.

From the ntsec discussion on the web, "If another user (or a Windows group, treated as a user) is not present in
/etc/passwd, the user id of that user will have a special value of -1 (which
would be shown by ls as 65535)." I knew the point at which a positive number becomes negative (ie Cygwin uses
a SIGNED SHORT for the userID) it's at 65535. Add one to 65535 because 0 is
one of the integers.
Well, guess what:
65536*2 = 131072.

That matches the number above and finds the relationship and discrepency
between the 'id' error and my user ID.  Changing the user ID to 1 made it
smaller than the critical wrapping number and so it works.  It works with
any ID between 1 and 65534 (65535 is the ?????? user per the ntsec docs, and
65536 starts this wrapping bug giving an error of not being able to find
user 0).

Wrapping issues are not uncommon - rsync and pop3 had the same problem about
a year or two ago.

Suggestion: Extend the userID field to be a signed INT instead of a SHORT.
That'll give 2147483648 users before we run into problems.  If the issue is
with 'id' then maybe someone can tell me who to talk to to fix it?

Kenneth G Lafond
System Validation Group
Validation Lead
Intel Corporation