"no buffer space available" on Win2K

I just downloaded the newest XFree86 packages from Cygwin.
My system is Win2K Pro, ServicePack 3.
I am connecting remotely to a RedHat 7.3 box.

All seems to work fine at first, but after a while
I get a "no buffer space available" error, and from
then on most Internet access gets hosed and I have to
reboot the machine.

I tried connecting through telnet and ssh from within
the X session, as well as using PuTTY from Windows directly
(in both, Telnet and SSH mode).
In all cases do I get the same error, however, it seems that
it happens more quickly when using SSH.

Where should I be looking to fix my setup/configuration,
that is, if it can be fixed?

I would be grateful for any pointers,

Karl