Re: "no buffer space available" on Win2K

Karl,

Right, but has the VPN software *ever* been installed on your Windows machine at work?

Can you try another Windows machine at work and see if it gets the same problem? Such a test would help to uncover anything specific to your general computer configuration at work (such as some sort of software installed on all of them, etc.).

As for help --- They would at least want you to be running debug versions of some Cygwin components. Ideally you would do some tracking down to try to figure out an exact sequence of events that reproduces the problem in a short amount of time.

Harold

Karl Waclawek wrote:
Karl,

It is well-known that various VPN software causes problems with Cygwin/XFree86. The reasons for this are numerous, but it primarily has to do with the fact that these VPN packages replace various Windows system DLLs with their own versions that do not correctly duplicate all of the functionality of the Windows networking DLLs. There isn't anything we can do to fix this problem, as we certainly cannot write code to deal with x number of networking layers for Windows.

The only real solution here is to never install the VPN software to begin with, as most of them leave their modified DLLs in place when you uninstall them.

You misunderstood:
I didn't get  the "no buffer space available" error with the VPN in place.
I only had very slow performance.

The error happened at work, no VPN, both machines inside the firewall.

The problem would have nothing to do with the window manager.

I consider your problem solved, as there is nothing I can do to help. You could ask the Cygwin list (cygwin@cygwin.com) if you have further questions, but I would expect it to get toasty in there if you aren't offering to help :)

What kind of help did you have in mind?

Karl