Re: being an idiot, transferring files 'tween PC and remote servervia cygwin

Are they having you login with the -query parameter for XWin.exe, or are they having you run 'ssh' to connect to the remote machine and then launch programs running on that machine that display in Cygwin/XFree86?

If they are having you use ssh, then you are in luck because you can use sftp to get something very similar to the way that ftp works (but it is secure). If you are not using ssh, then I think you will need to talk to your IT department again to find out if they support mapping drives via Samba or SMB (same thing). For example, here at MSU I can map a drive at home that points to my Computer Science department drive by pointing to \\samba.cse.msu.edu\homes ... they may have something similar setup, but you will have to ask.

Harold

S.Wiesner@surrey.ac.uk wrote:
OK, so I'm an idiot, and I've looked everywhere and tried contacting my IT guys at school numerous times, but to no avail. Here's the deal: I connect to the unix server at school using cygwin Xfree86 (the preferred method acc'd to the IT guys...my other option in Exceed). It works great as far as driging down to the server I need, getting to my app and files, etc. What I'm having trouble with, however, is transferring files. Do I need to mount my PC's c: drive somehow so that the unix server recognizes it? Or mount the school's server to my PC? I'm sorry to be so stupid, but I am NOT a technoweenie (my doctoral research is in Dance Writing and AI descriptions of motion). I'm lost. Please help.I tried ftp, but I'm having connection probs(not your problem...just letting you know I tried and if this SHOULD work please let me know and I'll get back on it (using Winftp pro). thanks ever for any advice (other than telling me I'm stupid which I already know).
SLW

--------------------------------------------- This message was sent using UNIS MailSystem.