Re: "no buffer space available" on Win2K

(Karl - No need to cc me on messages. Please don't.)

Karl Waclawek wrote:
All,
I am running xfree/cygwin on 2 machines:
a win98 machine which has a corporate vpn client installed and a win2k machine without the vpn. I have installed winpoet (pppoe) dsoftware on both. the 2k machine is a work machine attached to the local LAN, the 98 machine is a home machine on which I use xfree to telecommute. I have not had any problems using xfree on either of them, although there seems to be some kind of memory problem ahich causes XWin to crash a few times a day(-multiwindow -clibboard) This crashing seems to be more common with the server test 81 version released yesterday, but I have had no problems co-existing with the VPN. I might also add that my ISP is fixed wireless, so in concert with the VPN I am NOT able to FTP large files from home to work, but the xfree installation, other than being a little slow (due to the VPN being slow + network traffic) is fine. I also have Exceed 6.2 loaded on both machines, so that doesn't seem to have an effect.
Hope this helps.

This may be of interest to Harold too.

I tested on a different machine (a training machine) and could not
trigger the "no buffer space available" error. I tried with ssh and telnet.
So, it seems it is a problem local to my machine.

As I suspected. Now we just need to find out which piece of hardware, which driver, or which piece of software is to blame. Only you can do that for us.

Btw (for Harold):
Once OpenSSH is installed, XWin sessions (the way I used them, i.e. remotely)
always start up ssh-agent processes, even if SSH is not used, and never kill them.
I have to go into task manager and kill them manually - I had about 15 of these processes when closing the X session after 30 minutes.
This happened on all 3 machines I tested on. Is it wrong to just close
the X session window (Alt-F4)?

Karl

The ssh-agent processes are a side-effect of the fact that you are using startxwin.sh to startup (as opposed to startxwin.bat). I inherited those scripts from the original author and have taken a policy of not changing things that I don't understand. I have no clue what ssh-agent does, I don't pretend to have a clue, and I don't care to ever have a clue. I will follow advice if someone is willing to explore what the heck ssh-agent does and tell me either to keep or remove that line near the top of startxwin.sh that runs it. I think we had discussed this before a long time ago, but either the discussion was not decisive, or I forgot to remove that line.

Either way, someone else is going to have to help with this one.