Re: connect behind from firewall

Michael,

Are you connecting via the -query command-line parameter to Cygwin/XFree86? If so, XDMCP does not work when your XDM host is behind a firewall. I am not sure if you can easily open the ports on the firewall or not. In any case, the topic of XDMCP to hosts behind firewalls is one that is general to all X Servers and there should be lots of information about that on the web (search www.google.com).

If, on the other hand, you are using telnet to display applications running on the remote host, then all you need to do is instead use ssh with X11 tunnelling. This is described for Cygwin/XFree86 in the User's Guide:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/

This will require that you have the openssh package for Cygwin and that your Linux machine have openssh installed and the sshd daemon running. You will also need to have port 22 forwarded by the firewall to the Linux host. You could also alternatively forward another port (for example, 2200) to port 22 on the Linux host if you already use port 22 on the firewall.

Hmm... in fact, X tunnelling over ssh is also general to all X Servers with lots of information on the web. Again, search www.google.com for more information.

Harold

szerdahelyi.mihaly@ln.matav.hu wrote:
Hi,
we would like to connect Win2k to Linux with cygwin; it works without
problems when both machines are behind a company firewall but it does not
work on this line: Win2k->comp.firewall->net->private router->private Linux
server(same as in the first example). Unfortunately (but it is maybe good)
we have not enough information about the firewall because of the policy. We
can configure the end-machines and the private router. We could not find
any ideas in FAQ's. Have you any idea what could we continue with?
I send it in different mode because of the slightly confidential
information.
Thanks
Michael Szerdahelyi