Re: "no buffer space available" on Win2K [cgf, please comment]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold L Hunt II" <huntharo@msu.edu>
To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: "no buffer space available" on Win2K [cgf, please comment]

> Vince,
>
> Vince Hoffman wrote:
> > If its of any interest i can now definatley duplicate my problem on my box
> > without involving X at all. (It does seem to involve cygwin but i'm hoping i
> > can verify that and get something more concrete before i start bugging any
> > lists again.)
>
> Yes, I did a search on google for Cygwin and WSAENOBUFS last night:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?&q=cygwin+WSAENOBUFS
> (Note: You will need to look at "cached" copies of most links.)

There is also a thread in google groups:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=7be06644.0204221456.10fd2bc6%40posting.google.com

> This turned up a wealth of info, including the fact that this problem
> has struck XWin.exe before.  We had applied a fix that had mostly taken
> care of the problem, but it apparently did not completely fix the
> problem.  Cygwin's DLL has also been changed in response to this problem
> a few times in the past.  The way I see it, one of two things is happening:
>
> 1) Kylix exemplifies that the problem in either XWin.exe or Cygwin
> proper was never completely fixed.  Rather, the problem always existed
> but only a few applications can cause it to occur.

>From what I can observe, Kylix - or maybe the way the Kylix IDE makes calls
to QT, or maybe the fact that the Kylix IDE runs through wineserver,
causes heavy X traffic with small packets, but high frequency. This seems
to be the root cause for the bad VPN performance especially when running Kylix,
as latency plays a big role in such a scenario.

Karl