Re: Wanted X, got Perl - operator error or prequisiste

On Thu, 8 May 2003 22:19:03 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 10:10:55PM -0400, Matthew O. Persico wrote:
>>Subject says it all.
>
>http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
>says it all, too.

The following searches were performed on the email archives

XFree and perl - 45 hits
XFree and require - 120
XFree and requirements - 17
XFree and prerequisites - 17

A scan of the subjects and a number of the email bodies led me to message msg01159.html, which concerned how to create a package for
installation using the setup.exe program including setup.hints. I made a quick detour to a shareware site to grab a .bz2 reader to see if I could find
those files in the bz2 packages on my disk. I could not find them.

However, I did check the setup.ini file. perl is listed as a dependency of only

	autoconf_devel/stable
	automake_devel/stable
	dpkg
	enscript
	rpm
	tetex-bin

However, none of the packages whose category was XFree86 listed perl or any of the above mentioned programs as a dependency.

A find / -name \*.pl revealed (among other things)
/usr/X11R6/bin/bdftruncate.pl
/usr/X11R6/bin/ucs2any.pl
/usr/X11R6/sbin/fvwm/2.4.7/FvwmConsoleC.pl
/usr/X11R6/share/fvwm/fvwm-script-ComExample.pl
/usr/X11R6/share/fvwm/fvwm-script-setup95.pl

Since these are perl scripts in the X11R6 tree, I have to assume that perl is a requirement.

However, that assumption doesn't quite jibe with the fact that I couldn't find an explicit requirement anywhere in setup files.

AFTER doing all that research, I felt I still did not have a definitive answer and therefore, I asked the question "Is perl a prerequisite of XFree".

Next time I post a question, I will post the research done. I will also in the future post XFree questions to the cygwin-xfree list, not the main cygwin
list.

Thank you
--
Matthew O. Persico