XWin dying immediately on XP Pro SP1 - diagnostics techniques?

I'm having problems with getting XFree86 (in a freshly downloaded current
install of Cygwin) running on a system with XP Pro SP1 as the operating
system.

>From all appearances, XWin dies immediately after starting and then
everything else called from startxwin.sh dies as well.  Since I'm very new
to Cygwin and have only used *nix-family GUIs lightly in the last 9 years,
I have no clue about how to start checking the cause of my problems.
Could someone give me some tips on starting diagnostics, or at least doing
verbose logging of the X server startup process?

Just in case, here's the exact set of error messages I get and details on
my system and customizations.  Any help appreciated!

Alex

===============
OUTPUT WHEN RUNNING startxwin.sh

$ startxwin.sh
xsetroot:  unable to open display 'aka1:0.0'

Administrator:/home/Administrator ~
$ twm:  unable to open display "aka1:0.0"
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: aka1:0.0

===============
SYSTEM AND CYGWIN CONFIG DETAILS

OS Config
Video - nVidia Riva TNT2 64 AGP card, 32 MiB RAM, running nVidia's own
4.3.4.5 driver.
Networking: + 3Com Etherlink 10/100 PCI NIC (3C905-TX)
    + external USR 56K Modem

Cygwin Customization
+ Installed to standard c:\cygwin location
+ Customized startxwin's DISPLAY definition to be `hostname`:0.0.  Same
results as with 127.0.0.1:0.0.