Clarification of 8 bit color mapping problem

Hi everyone,

I am having problem with getting colors correct for certain X applications
that originally ran on Digital Unix workstations. The details are below. Any
help would be appreciated.

The command I ran in cygwin was:

XWin.exe -fullscreen -depth 8 -emulate3buttons 100 -unixkill -query dmsdev

where dmsdev is a digital Unix machine.

As Harold suggested, I used xdpyinfo with XWin and the digital unix
workstation.

The following is firstly the result for XWin...
> dmsdev:/home/al012> xdpyinfo
> name of display:    PC31406:0.0
> version number:    11.0
> vendor string:    The XFree86 Project, Inc
> vendor release number:    40200000
> maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
> motion buffer size:  256
> bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
> image byte order:    LSBFirst
> number of supported pixmap formats:    7
> supported pixmap formats:
>     depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
>     depth 4, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
>     depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
>     depth 15, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
>     depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
>     depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
>     depth 32, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
> keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 255
> focus:  window 0x1a00043, revert to PointerRoot
> number of extensions:    21
>     BIG-REQUESTS
>     DEC-XTRAP
>     DOUBLE-BUFFER
>     Extended-Visual-Information
>     FontCache
>     GLX
>     LBX
>     MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
>     RECORD
>     RENDER
>     SECURITY
>     SGI-GLX
>     SHAPE
>     SYNC
>     TOG-CUP
>     XC-APPGROUP
>     XC-MISC
>     XFree86-Bigfont
>     XKEYBOARD
>     XTEST
>     XVideo
> default screen number:    0
> number of screens:    1
>
> screen #0:
>   dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (347x260 millimeters)
>   resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
>   depths (7):    8, 1, 4, 15, 16, 24, 32
>   root window id:    0x36
>   depth of root window:    8 planes
>   number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
>   default colormap:    0x20
>   default number of colormap cells:    256
>   preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 1
>   largest cursor:    1024x768
>   current input event mask:    0x30003c
>     ButtonPressMask          ButtonReleaseMask        EnterWindowMask
>     LeaveWindowMask          SubstructureRedirectMask FocusChangeMask
>   number of visuals:    1
>   default visual id:  0x22
>   visual:
>     visual id:    0x22
>     class:    PseudoColor
>     depth:    8 planes
>     available colormap entries:    256
>     red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
>     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

Here's the output of xdpyinfo on the Digital Unix workstation.
> [...]
>     depth:    8 planes
>     available colormap entries:    8 per subfield
>     red, green, blue masks:    0xe0, 0x1c, 0x3
>     significant bits in color specification:    3 bits
>

> On Tue, 13 May 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>

>>Anthony,
>>
>>I am not sure what you mean.
>>
>>When you run `xdpyinfo' does it list a StaticColor or PseudoColor
>>visual?  If it lists StaticColor only, then please send in your line
>>that starts XWin.exe.  If it does list a PseudoColor visual, then please
>>specify what it is that you are trying to do.
>>
>>Harold
>>
>>ANTHONY LEE wrote:
>>

>>>Hi everyone,
>>>
>>>I have search google and search the FAQ but whilst I can now
>>>get 8 bit color to work, I don't know how to get the color mapping
>>>to map to the colors that I want. Any help would be appreciated.

This email message (including any file attachments transmitted with it)
confidential and legally privileged information. Any unauthorised
review, use, alteration, disclosure or distribution of this email
(including any attachments) by an unintended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by
return email and destroy all copies of the original message.
Any confidential or legal professional privilege is not waived
or lost by any mistaken delivery of the email.
ENERGEX accepts no responsibility for the content of any email
which is sent by an employee which is of a personal nature.