Re: xterm is a console program?

Harold,

Note that nothing prevents non-console programs from calling
AllocateConsole which would use a console if one is available, or create a
new one.  However, AFAIU, *all* Cygwin apps are non-console apps!  They
will call AllocateConsole if necessary, but they would rather use the pty
if available.
	Igor

Igor,

Ah, but if you link with -mwindows you don't get connected to the current console. When you call AllocConsole you create a new console, which pops up a new command prompt window, which is precisely what we are trying to avoid. I remember reading somewhere (didn't look for it again) that there is no way for a Windows app to attach to the console that it was launched from. I spent quite a bit of time researching AllocConsole and other functions when I began using -mwindows for XWin.exe. Every option I explored turned up not to be quite what we wanted and I read several articles (some might have been on MSDN, some were other places) that said it simply wasn't possible to do something like you are suggesting. Have you demonstration code that implements what you are suggesting? I wrote some demo code at the time that convinced me that what I was reading was correct. However, if you have demo code that proves otherwise, I will certainly believe you :)

Additionally, we would have to modify the source code for each of the console apps in the XFree86 tree, adding Cygwin-specific code that would create a new console for them. The goal here is to achieve this with Imakefile settings, rather than having to maintain code in each of the console apps.