Re: xterm is a console program?

"Harold L Hunt II" <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote:
> > Ergo, the same ought to be made true on
> > Windows.
> >

> Yes, I saw The Matrix Reloaded too, and I have had to resist using
> "ergo" in daily conversations since then :)  Have you seen it, or is
> this usage completely unrelated?

Nope - totally unrelated.  Believe it or not, CG is not enough to draw me to
a film (despite my line of work:).

> Actually, I don't think we have a chicken before the egg problem here...
> I think a more appropriate term would be SNAFU ;)

Take yer pick - the two OS's are inherently unfriendly toward each other

> Just to clarify, it sounds like your new idea does not require any sort
> of environment variable.  That is correct, no?

Completely correct.

> I agree that the X11 library is, so far, the best place to put this sort
> of glue.
>
> Lets turn down the flames on our gas grill here and see some code.  I
> think the discussion of why this is good or why this is bad is pretty
> much over.  Now I want to *see* what happens when we actually try this
> code in a test version of the X11 library for Cygwin/XFree86.  I am a
> very pragmatic person --- if no problems materialize, I am apt to go
> with the solution.  On the other hand, if it blows up in our faces then
> it will be obvious to all that another solution must be found.

I've re-posted the technique I presented yesterday.

> So, can you send in that X11 lib goodness for all to see?

I also found some time to insert the appropriate call into the X11 client
lib (turns out that mixing in a .cpp file really threw things off - so I had
to convert the necessary functions from C++)  Not sure I got the right spot
since it gets called at least 4 times by xterm, but it certainly works - the
console appears for a few moments and then goes away, leaving just the newly
spawned xterm.  I'll post a diff as soon as I go re-read the responses to my
last patch regarding how to do it.  In the meantime, if anybody wants to
duplicate my efforts, add the attached file into the makefile for
std/lib/X11, and place a call to edeHideConsoleIfOwner at the top of
Initialize( ).  Run make, copy cygX11-6.dll over /usr/X11R6/bin/libX11.dll
(you made a backup first, right?) and enjoy.  Note that you cannot copy over
/usr/X11R6/bin/libX11.dll while it is in use - try mv
/usr/X11R6/bin/libXll.dll /delete.me first on windows nt/2k/xp.
Applications using the original libX11.dll will continue to do so and
applications launched after the cp will use the new one.

--
-- Early Ehlinger CEO, ResPower Inc - Toll-Free : 866-737-7697
-- www.respower.com -- 500+ GHz Supercomputer Starting At USD$0.50/GHz*Hour

begin 666 edeHideConsoleIfOwner.c
M(VEN8VQU9&4@/'=I;F1O=W,N:#X-"@T*8VAA<B!C;VYS="!T:71L95M=(#T@
M(C@X-F1E,#<Y+3AD9C M-#0X-"UA-#<R+6$P9&)A-F(X.#1D92([#0H-"DA7