Re: FW: problem: occasional keystroke doubling (a known issue?)

David,

No need to CC me on replies. Please don't.

Fries, David D wrote:
The correct solution if you asked me is to ignore the windows repeat
events and use this X "feature" that is causing the problem.  I
would say this is the correct thing to do because of the very reason
that the feature was included in X in the first place (at least I
assume it is the reason).  It gives you rates and delays the hardware
doesn't provide, especially lower delays than 250ms and 30cps on
pc hardware.  If you use, `xset r rate 150 80` you can see it work
under cygwin.

We take the approach that we are a Windows application, which means that we act like other Windows applications with respect to key repeats. I believe we would get more complaints about Cygwin/XFree86 not responding to the Windows Control Panel settings than we will ever get about Cygwin/XFree86 not responding to the X key repeat settings.

In fact, the evidence so far is that the only people complaining are the ones that are being stung by the X key repeat system, not anyone that doesn't want Windows to handle the keyboard settings.

One note though if you fiddle with the rates even on a Linux computer
that is heavily loaded it can duplicate keys when you didn't actually
hold it long enough for the delay to kick in, so it isn't always
foolproof even on Linux.

Right, and Cygwin/XFree86 introduces more delays into the system that cause inadvertant key repeats to happen more often than they do on Linux. A lot of people use Cygwin/XFree86 over RDP (Remote Desktop Connection/Terminal Services), which introduces a lot of lag in the keystrokes that Windows handles just fine, but which causes X to think that a key repeat has occurred. In that case, the X key repeat system does nothing but get in the way.

I've noticed that the modifiers under cygwin (control, alt, shift etc)
show that they repeat under xev just like other keys where they don't
on Linux.

While input is the topic is it possible to claim the alt and window keys
in cygwin?  I have fvwm setup to use them a ton and it works great under
Linux, but not at all in cygwin.  I was debating if it would be useful to
let windows still control alt-tab or not.  I've seen other programs
take control of the window and alt keys, so it is possible, but I have no
idea what it would take.

It may be useful or it may not. It is most certainly possible on NT-based platforms, but the debate won't get us anywhere. Someone can submit a patch and we can try it out. Until then it is just idle chatter.