Re: Few minor issues

--- Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote:
> Biju wrote:
> > I dont know whether others noticed these.
> >
> > 1)
> > After we start XWin.exe the mouse pointer will automatically move to center of screen.
>
> I looked for the code that does this (it is general X code, not
> Cygwin/XFree86-specific code) the last time that someone brought this up
> (wasn't it you?).

Not me, And this is only a minor issue. May be XFree people can help us.
So we dont need to wast time on it now.

> > 2)
> > On -multiwindow mode if we press Alt-F4 on any of the X application screen
> > it will popup "Exit Dialog Box" for XWin.exe.
> >

> I don't know if there is a better way that this should work.  Maybe you
> have a point.  I might try to see if I can do anything.
>
> > 3)
> > On normal mode if click "close (X)" button on title bar, or "close" on sysmenu
> > It close XWin.exe with out showing "Exit Dialog Box"
> >

> Now you have a point.  I was just calling GiveUp () in the WM_CLOSE
> message.  I moved the call to GiveUp () to a WM_GIVEUP message.
> WM_CLOSE now opens the dialog box.  The dialog box sends WM_GIVEUP if OK
> is pressed.  This seems to work well on my system.
>
> > Can we centralize the "Exit Dialog Box" using DS_CENTER flag for STYLE attribute?
> >

> Thanks.  I never saw any window styles for centering.  There doesn't
> seem to be much documentation on the DS_* flags as a search in MSDN only
> turns up a handful of articles.  I applied this to my local XWin.rc.

I found it at Windows CE page. And I tried on Win XP.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wceui40/html/cerefdlgtemplate.asp

Searching in Internet is like Searching a needle in hay stack
If u are unable to find something in MSDN or else where,
just send a mail asking somebody to search MSDN for you.
We will be happy to do that. At least we will be able to contribute to project like that

> > To hide from taskbar we may be able to use WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW flag for EXSTYLE attribute.
> > I am attaching an example for this.
> >

> Hiding from the taskbar?  It isn't shown on my taskbar.  I am using
> Windows XP... what version are you using?

Now I use Windows XP Pro.
Only in -multiwindow with "hide root" it hides from Task bar
But all other modes it is there in Taskbar.
Same case in WinXP Home, and Win2k (I tested 2 week back)

> WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW doesn't seem right.  I tried it... it creats a window
> that looks like a tool pallette in Photoshop, not a dialog box.

Yeah, its for tool bar.
So for -nodecoration and -rootless you may be able to use that.
I am attaching a sample for this case

WS_EX_NOACTIVATE also wont show in task bar.
But I dont know whether we will able to use it.
It may be useful in -multiwindow mode with show root,
to act like a desktop. And u can put wallpaper
and root window click (????) on that.

> I did, however, add the extended style WS_EX_DLGMODALFRAME and the
> normal style WS_DLGFRAME.  These didn't change anything for me, but they
> may help for you.
>
> I also noticed that an already existing exit dialog was not being
> brought to the foreground when the user performed another action that
> would display the dialog.  The result was that the dialog box seemed to
> be lost and it seemed that you couldn't exit Cygwin/XFree86.  I changed
> this to call SetForegroundWindow () for the dialog box when it already
> exists.  This brings it to the top in response to such user-generated
> events.

You can also try SetWindowPos()
with Z-Order HWND_TOPMOST and flags SWP_NOSIZE | SWP_NOMOVE
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wceui40/html/cerefSetWindowPos.asp

I dont find any reason why "Exit Dialog" not to be TOPMOST

> Any ideas on how to get rid of the Maximize button on the dialog?  I can
> do it by removing the WS_SYSMENU style... should we be using WS_SYSMENU
> or not?  Not using WS_SYSMENU cause our icon to not be displayed on the
> upper-left hand corner, but I can't seem to find a flag that says "no
> maximize button".

Style DS_CENTER | WS_SIZEBOX | WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU
should show only "Close (X)" button

But if you use WS_MINIMIZEBOX, maxmize button will automaticaly come.
(similary WS_MAXIMIZEBOX cause minimise button to show up)

Additionly if you want to disable "Close (X)" button with SysMenu/Left hand Icon

Use WS_SYSMENU in Style
It will also bring up "Close(X)" button along with SysMenu
(M$ may have done this, to make old Win 3.1 pgm to show "Close (X)" button
If you remember there was no Close(X) in Win 3.1)

and then do

    case WM_INITDIALOG:

      hMenu = GetSystemMenu(hwnd, FALSE);
      EnableMenuItem (hMenu , SC_CLOSE, MF_BYCOMMAND | MF_GRAYED);

But again, if you want a "Close" option as menu Item, then add
      RemoveMenu(hMenu,   SC_CLOSE,   MF_BYCOMMAND );
      AppendMenu(hMenu,   MF_STRING,  IDC_MYCLOSE,    "&My Close");

> Thanks for your help,
>
> Harold

You are welcome. But no mention please ...
As I am doing very less compared you guys...

Cheers
Biju

Links:-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/windowing/windows/windowreference/windowstyles.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/winui/WinUI/WindowsUserInterface/Windowing/Windows/WindowReference/WindowFunctions/CreateWindowEx.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/windowing/windows/windowfeatures.asp#message_only

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcesdkr/htm/_tools_style_statement.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wceui40/html/cerefdlgtemplate.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/windowing/dialogboxes/aboutdialogboxes.asp#templates

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wceui40/html/cerefSetWindowPos.asp

------- example ---

#include "resource.h"
#include <windows.h>

IDD_MAIN DIALOG DISCARDABLE  0, 0, 250, 156
EXSTYLE WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW
FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif"
BEGIN
    DEFPUSHBUTTON   "&OK",IDOK,174,18,50,14
    PUSHBUTTON      "&Cancel",IDCANCEL,174,35,50,14
END