OT - Terminal embedded in desktop

Hello,

            I am looking for a tool or window manager, I?m not really sure,
that lets you do what Windows does with Active Desktop.

            That is, I am trying to set it up so that my term window IS the
desktop.

            That means that Icons on the desktop would appear on top of the
terminal window, but that the terminal output would be written on a layer
above the icons, but below any other application window.

            Also, the terminal window, since it is the desktop, would not
have a border, would take up the entire desktop and could not be moved. It
would not appear in the window list of the window manager.

            Is there such an animal?

            Is it an application, a window manager or a combination of the
two?

Thanks.