Réf. : Re: PseudoColor and error withXAllocColorCells()

Céline RENARD
ACTEMIUM Le Havre
Parc d'activités
B.P. 117
76330 NOTRE-DAME-DE-GRAVENCHON - FRANCE

email : celine.renard@actemium.com
Tel : (33) 02 32 84 10 48
Standard : (33) 02 32 84 10 10
Telecopie : (33) 02 32 84 10 00
----- Réacheminé par Celine Renard/NDG/MCII le 02/06/03 10:18 -----

                    Celine Renard
                                         Pour :  cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
                    27/05/03 18:28       cc :
                                         Objet :      Réf. : Re: PseudoColor and error with XAllocColorCells()(Document link: Celine Renard)

yes this software was wrote by collegues.
the 72 colors are allocate in the default color map.
but why XWin allocates so much color ?
I'll try to implement the code to create my own color map and inform you if
it is ok

Thanks so much

Céline RENARD

                    Harold L Hunt II
                    <huntharo@msu.edu>         Pour :  cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
                    Envoyé par :               cc :
                    cygwin-xfree-owner@        Objet :      Re: PseudoColor and error with XAllocColorCells()
                    cygwin.com

                    27/05/03 16:44
                    Veuillez répondre à
                    cygwin-xfree

Céline,

celine.renard@actemium.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I test a software developped on Unix/Linux. This soft is a client of X
> server.
> So, I want to test the server Cygwin/XWin on  Windows NT4. (Actually, we
> have Exceed, and all is OK)
> This soft needs to allocate 72 colors and these colors must be writable.
> So, the X server must be in PseudoColor
> To do that, I put in the file startxwin.bat : start XWin -fullscreen
-depth
> 8
> The xdpyinfo returns :
>      1 visual
>      class is PseudoColor
>      depth is 8 planes
>      available colormap entries is 256
>
> And I run my program on Unix platform and the display is my PC NT4
> I cant allocate my 72 colors with the function XAllocColorCells()
> I can only allocate 6 colors with this function.
> Can anybody help me and  tell me why ?

Did you write this software yourself?  What you probably want to do is
create your own color map first, then alloc the colors in that new
colormap.  It sounds like you are trying to alloc the colors in the
default colormap, which have already been allocated.

I'm not really an X Client developer, so I must ask the other folks: Is
it even possible to create a private colormap?  I assume that it is,
because I had to implement the code to switch between colormaps when
clients specified that they used a non-default colormap.