X icon

The defaukt icon obviously comes from the icon resource in XWin.exe.
Such resources can have small icons 16x16 and large ones 32x32 and
both are actually present.  Problem is that the icons on the title and
in the taskbar are scaled to 24x24 on my setup, so Windows must do
some internal scaling.  It's curious they don't do a better job of it,
I know that one of my own applications written for Win 3.x some years
ago could do this better by adding a standard Windows blur effect.

Microsoft never comes right out and says what bloody size *all* icons are supposed to be in the various places in Windows. The nearest I have ever been able to find is the following:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.asp

It looks like 16 x 16 is what is used for the notification tray, and they specifically mention that 24 x 24 doesn't have to be supplied by an application icon (they are used in toolbars though).

I was able to make a pretty good 24 x 24 - 16 color icon without much trouble. I also made a 24 x 24 - 256 color icon. Now I suppose we should change the patch that Colin sent in to load the 24 x 24 icon instead of the 16 x 16 icon for the tray. I might give that a shot.

Nope that doesn't look good. I just noticed that you had said that you had customized your system to use 24 x 24 icons in the notification area. I will see if I can find a metric that we can query to find this size.