From: Harold L Hunt II [mailto:huntharo@msu.edu]
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 10:35 AM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Problem with releases since -37

Andrew,

Please do a manual file scan for multiple copies of
cygwin1.dll.  Don't
tell me anything about paths, just do the search and report how many
copies you find.

For more info specific to this problem, see the following FAQ entry:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html#q-sta
tus-access-violation

I wouldn't doubt it if this problem is just exemplified by the new randomness of things that happen in releases after -37. I would actually be surprised if we introduced a bug, since the crash seems to be in cygwin1.dll.

Harold

Andrew Braverman wrote:

I suddenly have a problem running one of the programs that

I run all the

time. As of release 37, it works fine (I just went back to

37 so that I can

run it). The program is ddd (a good graphical debugger,

for those who do

not know). When running it with versions since 37, it

crashes XWin before

even displaying the first window. I just tried it with -41

and it still

happens.  If I debug it, I get the following error:
		"Unhandled exception in XWin.exe (CYGWIN1.DLL):

0xC0000005: Access

Violation."

I can get this to happen at will, so if someone wants me to

try something, I

can do that. I do not, however, currently have source code

on my machine.

I have the bz2 from setup.

Thanks, everyone, for the wonderful product. I appreciate

the work you are

putting into it. One of these days, I will dig up enough

time to get and

understand the source code so I can contribute as well.

Until then, any

help you can give me would be appreciated.

Andrew Braverman