Re: building X and libX11.dll

Chris,

Christopher Thielen wrote:

Hello all,
	I'm wanting to experiment with XFree86 on cygwin so I decided I'd try
to build it from source (plus I'd like Xft2 :)). I downloaded X CVS and
added #include <cygwin.rules> to config/cf/host.def.

That is a mistake. You don't need to do that to host.def and it would be an error to do so.

Let me point you to a set of directions I wrote that should walk you through this process:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/cg/cygwin-xfree-cg.html

However, after
issuing make World, make install, and make install.man, I found that
although X would run, (XWin -rootless was very very cool) any
application that didn't come with X would report that it could not find
libX11.dll and applications like xterm were missing.
	I looked into it and from googling and checking the XFree86 packages
from cygwin I discovered libX11.dll goes in /usr/X11R6/bin.
/usr/X11R6/bin is in my PATH variable, but the X compile produced no
libX11.dll, just libX11.dll.a which was symlinked to libX11-6.dll.a.
	My question is this:
	What did I do wrong? How can I get a libX11.dll and how can I get xterm
working from source?

xterm should be compiling. Check your build log (see the Contributor's Guide for info on how to create a build log) for errors related to xterm.

The library names have changed in CVS, so most documentation on the web is out of date. The PATH variable does have to be set to point to the libraries.