Re: Multiwindow request

Howdy Igor...
At 11:05 PM 6/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Umm, Earle, you didn't quote the complete message.  The shortcut is almost
what I was suggesting in the first part of it (quoted below):
At 04:12 PM 6/2/2003 -0400, I wrote:
> IMO, the ability to start clients is the function of the window manager.
> I know fvwm provides such, and so do KDE and CDE.  In multiwindow mode,
> the window manager is native windows (Explorer?), which has its own start
> menu and its own desktop management, so those are the tools that should be
> used to start new clients.  The only way in which the Explorer WM is
> different from the traditional WMs (like fvwm, etc) is that it's not aware
> of the DISPLAY value (which may or may not be a problem).
The reason I wrote the second part (which you did quote) was that the
Explorer context menu would not know the value of DISPLAY to set for the
X clients it would start...  An X client would, of course, know it.  BTW,
that value is not necessarily "<mymachine>:0.0"...
IIRC, Cygwin already requires some version of IE to be installed on 95 to
function correctly (it may even be IE4, have to check the code).

Sorry, I didn't mean to misquote you. But your local host and display # is always the same, no? Especially under Windoze where your desktop doesn't follow you like a SunRay or just a plain XDCMP session? My work machine is always xx.yy.zz:0.0, and my home is always bigearle:0.0. If you use -display in the xterm command line, it imports that environment variable into its shell so clients started from that xterm automatically pick the correct display. In fact, a shortcut like that's what I have in my work setup, and that's what commercial apps like eXceed do (of course, eXceed 8.0 also hangs more often than XWin but that's what you're paying the $$$ for 8P)...

-Earle F. Philhower, III earle@ziplabel.com cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel http://www.cdrlabel.com