Re: xwinclip shouldn't monitor the primary selection

Think what you want in five minutes, but I have worked on it for over a year and it isn't as simple as you think.

Keep your suggestions to yourself if you don't have anything concrete to contribute.

Harold

uribarri_u@tsm.es wrote:

Sorry. I have searched the maillist and I've read several times that xwinclip must be rewritten, but I can't find why.

In January, you said that you are planning to integrate xwinclip into the X
server to be able to detect when an application asserts a selection
ownership (at least, it's what I understant :-?).

I think that this is a dead end, because an X application doesn't need to
notify the X server when the selection content changes. For example, gvim
asserts the primary selection ownership when you begins the drag operation
and doesn't assert it again when you release the mouse button.

Nonetheless, monitoring the primary selection is a bad idea. The primary
selection is a secondary way of coping and pasting, an "easter egg" for
expert users and is very volatile. The main way of cutting, coping and
pasting must be the clipboard selection. Look at
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/clipboards.txt.

So I think that xwinclip must ignore the primary selection.

Good bye!