Re: ooh, ooh! more nitpicking

Jack,

Yeah, that is definitely a feature that people getting paid to program would implement. :)

I think we have many more fundamental problems to solve before we worry about such issues.

Harold

Jack Tanner wrote:

So I love the fact that my X-forwarded apps now show up in the Alt-Tab list with their proper icons. Except that now there's no way to distinguish at a glance between, say, a Mozilla running locally and a Mozilla running remotely -- they have the same icon.

How about this for overloading a simple feature and opening a gazillion cans of worms: the icon shown for each X application in the Alt-Tab list (as well as in the taskbar, for completeness sake), gets it's default icon but with an faint X11-style letter "X" in the background. This letter X should be visible no matter what my system colors are.

As a bonus point, the number of the X display should be embedded next to the X to disambiguate between the same application being shown on different X servers, but this bonus functionality should only be enabled if more than one X server is actually running.

Flames to /dev/null; granted, this is a silly idea but it does point out a problem. Additional information could be sought by seeing how other application-forwarding software (e.g., VNC, NetMeeting, PC Anywhere, Citrix Metaframe or their ilk) disambiguate under such circumstances, or if they bother to do anything at all.

For those still reading, here's an entertaining note: the citrix.com site currently carries an ad which reads "Citrix embraces and extends Windows Server 2003".

-JT