Re: Possible X-Wndows problem

Howdy...
At 01:39 AM 6/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:
I had Cygwin crash on me the other day and was wondering if this is my machine doing this (like it ran out of memory or some such) or if it was a known problem with Cygwin.
I wrote a small program which opened a 400x400 pixel screen and then proceeded to write to each pixel varying colors. The program worked at first but after allowing the program to run several hours while it randomly wrote colors to the dots (in the proper range of course), Cygwin crashed and died leaving the system in an unstable state (ie: I had to reboot my Windows box).

Are you running a W98 based OS, or were you able to kill W2K/NT/XP with this? That
sounds more like a driver issue if it's the latter. Also, do you have a check as to
the number of GDI handles, etc., and how they increase with time? I think there are
some leaks still there but haven't run into any problems under W2k. W95 based OSes
do have more limitations, though, and will crash where NT OSes will continue running.
(To see GDI handles/etc bring up taskmgr, select View->Select Columns, and check
GDI objects, Handle Count, USER objects, and memory usage...)

If you do see one of those numbers increasing without stop then maybe just posting
your source code would be useful.

-Earle F. Philhower, III
 earle@ziplabel.com
 cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel