Re: Possible X-Wndows problem

(Ah! I see that I have to redo the subject line each time in order to thread things!)

I had Norton SystemWorks but gave it to my younger brother some time back. So no such luck (unfortunately). I have noticed the memory manager does seem to slowly but surely creep upwards. However, as I said, I haven't sat here and watched it for the entire time. I just come back after a long time and it has crashed. Haven't had time to get the program together so I can post it. Lots of things happening on my end. (And here I thought getting laid off would make my life simpler!)

On the Wndow98se staying up: When I switched from the Mac to the IBM (mainly because of price and not because I like IBM PCs) I had many weeks of crashes, re-installs, and the like. But I found a full-proof way to make Windows98se (at least) become very stable. All it takes is to allow each piece of software to install the typical installation version. Then go back and install any optional components you need. I have found that by doing this my system became very stable. My usual uptime for my system is between fifteen minutes and a week depending upon what I am doing. (ie: From boot to shutdown) I rarely get crashes even though I am programming on the thing and when I do get crashes it is usually because I did something incorrectly. The program I ran under Cygwin originally was created under Linux and then moved to Cygwin. It never crashed under Linux so I was surprised that it had done so under Cygwin. :-)

(Ugh. It is already time to get ready to go run around town for a couple of hours. Maybe tonight I will have the time to post everything. It is only two small programs but I want to make sure they crash Cygwin before I post them.)

Mark