Re: xfree

Csaba, please don't reply to me directly. This is so experts may help in answering your question, as well as to save the Q&A for posterity so that all readers may benefit.

I work in tcsh. I believe export in bash would be the SETENV in tcsh?

Yes (but setenv in lower case).

I tried it and it gave different behaviour, but the end result still was
"can't open display".

What was the exact behavior? Please paste your exact commands and output, that will help in diagnosing the problem.

Also, when I ssh-ed to my office linux puter, it gave a warning that I used
fake authentification for X11 forwarding (I guess it did not like the
127.0.0.1 ?).

Your local machine has to be set up for xauth. Do

# xauth generate :0 .

(Don't forget the period at the end.) For more info, see man xauth.

-JT