Novice question: Is it possible to get FREE documentation for X?

Hello,
I'm new to X, so it will be very usefull to read some documentation to get
the main ideas of X _before_ downloading and installing all those "huge"
packages. I've tried to let the Google find some, but it failed (of course,
it found a lot of links pointing to another links... and so on), and I still
don't know what to do :(

Actually my question is: Is there any resource, where I can download some
tutorials and papers with the description of the main internals of X, the
main components ("what is where?"), programming guidelines etc, from?

Thank you
Alexey Lyubimov