Re: X server acting funny when displaying remote KDE session

Hi Stefan,

I can only comment on some of the points, I hope others have more
experience with KDE.

Stefan Heinzmann <stefan_heinzmann@yahoo.com> writes:
> o  When exiting the X server it crashes.

I have that too sometimes, but I haven't yet investigated what's up.

> I log into a Debian Linux machine on the same local ethernet using
> ssh -C -X -l<user> <IP-address>
>
> xterm works ok, with the exception that it does not use the
> US-international keyboard layout that Win2K uses (why does Xfree86
> not inherit the Windows settings?).

XFree86 works on a lower level than the usual Windows APIs.
Translation of keyboard scancodes to actual characters is done by X11
itself.  Still, with a recent XFree86 server, your localized keyboard
should be detected and the right translation table loaded
automatically.

You are running on a German system, I presume?  Keyboard detection
works here on my system with a German keyboard.  Do you use the
regular PC desktop keyboard?  What does the keyboard control panel
call your keyboard?  Search the list archives for a pointer to a
diagnostic tool "keyboard.exe", "keyboard.tar.gz".  Running that could
help to see why automatic detection doesn't work.

There is an XF86Config file somewhere on the XFree86/Cygwin webpages
that you can install, where you can explicitly set your keyboard
instead of relying on the automated detection.

> Another minor quibble (which may be off-topic here): In contrast to
> what the Xfree user's guide says I have to set the DISPLAY variable
> manually after connecting to the linux machine via ssh. I would have
> expected ssh to do that for me.  Also I have to do xhost + before
> calling ssh, is that not also supposed to be done by ssh?

With the -X option that you gave, ssh will set up a private connection
that just works, if you have the DISPLAY variable set correctly
*before* you start ssh.  For a test it's easiest, if you start ssh
from the xterm that is already running locally, because the DISPLAY
variable will already be set correctly in there.

Hope this helps, benny