[ERR] Re: X server acting funny when displaying remote KDE session

Transmit Report:

 To: antizm@hitel.net, 451 Requested action aborted: mda_local GET write error to (203.245.15.30:7001) (Broken pipe)
--- Begin Message ---
 --- Benjamin Riefenstahl <Benjamin.Riefenstahl@epost.de>
schrieb:
[...]
> > I log into a Debian Linux machine on the same local
> ethernet using
> > ssh -C -X -l<user> <IP-address>
> >
> > xterm works ok, with the exception that it does not use
> the
> > US-international keyboard layout that Win2K uses (why
> does Xfree86
> > not inherit the Windows settings?).
>
> XFree86 works on a lower level than the usual Windows APIs.
> Translation of keyboard scancodes to actual characters is
> done by X11
> itself.  Still, with a recent XFree86 server, your
> localized keyboard
> should be detected and the right translation table loaded
> automatically.
>
> You are running on a German system, I presume?  Keyboard
> detection
> works here on my system with a German keyboard.  Do you use
> the
> regular PC desktop keyboard?  What does the keyboard
> control panel
> call your keyboard?  Search the list archives for a pointer
> to a
> diagnostic tool "keyboard.exe", "keyboard.tar.gz".  Running
> that could
> help to see why automatic detection doesn't work.
>
> There is an XF86Config file somewhere on the XFree86/Cygwin
> webpages
> that you can install, where you can explicitly set your
> keyboard
> instead of relying on the automated detection.

My Win2K is german, but I use a US keyboard with it (A Happy
Hacking Keyboard, to be precise). I use the US-international
layout because it has all the dead keys you need for various
major european languages (Ever tried to write spanish with a
german keyboard?). And programming is more fun when you have
direct access to those curly braces ;-)

The symptom is such that the keyboard layout used by X is ok
in principle, but lacks the dead keys (i.e. ' does not wait
for the following keystroke in order to combine with a
vocal). This indicates that the ordinary US layout is used
instead of US-international.

Here's the output of keyboard.exe:
KeyboardType: 81: Unknown, Value out of range
KeyboardLayout: 00020409

I don't know what it means, though.

> > Another minor quibble (which may be off-topic here): In
> contrast to
> > what the Xfree user's guide says I have to set the
> DISPLAY variable
> > manually after connecting to the linux machine via ssh. I
> would have
> > expected ssh to do that for me.  Also I have to do xhost
> + before
> > calling ssh, is that not also supposed to be done by ssh?
>
> With the -X option that you gave, ssh will set up a private
> connection
> that just works, if you have the DISPLAY variable set
> correctly
> *before* you start ssh.  For a test it's easiest, if you
> start ssh
> from the xterm that is already running locally, because the
> DISPLAY
> variable will already be set correctly in there.

I thought that this is exactly what I'm doing.
Immediately before I call ssh, echo $DISPLAY says:
127.0.0.1:0.0

Or do you mean the variable on the client side?

Cheers
Stefan

Logos und Klingeltöne fürs Handy bei http://sms.yahoo.de