Keyboard Layout - Was: X server acting funny when displaying remo te KDE session

Sorry to jump in here, but I've been trying to set up my keyboard in Xwin
for days now and everything I read contradicts everything else.  There's a
lot of references to xmodmap and  xkeycaps.  I tried following the steps
outlined here:
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html#q-non-U.S.-keyboard
-layout but I had no success.

I tried what you suggested below and got the following errors:
$ startx

The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error:            Can't find file "uk" for symbols include
>                   Exiting
>                   Abandoning symbols file "default"

Where can I get the required map file?  It's obviously not using the
xmodmap.uk file that I copied over from RedHat.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Martin