Re: X server acting funny when displaying remote KDE session

 --- Benjamin Riefenstahl <Benjamin.Riefenstahl@epost.de>
schrieb:
> Hi Stefan,
>

> Stefan Heinzmann <stefan_heinzmann@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > My Win2K is german, but I use a US keyboard with it (A
> Happy Hacking
> > Keyboard, to be precise). I use the US-international
> layout because
> > it has all the dead keys you need for various major
> european
> > languages
>
> > Here's the output of keyboard.exe:
> > KeyboardType: 81: Unknown, Value out of range
> > KeyboardLayout: 00020409
>
> That explains that part.  There is a table inside the X
> server to
> translate MS keyboard codes like these to X11 style
> keyboard
> descriptions.  Your keybord is not covered by that table
> yet.
>
> Alexander will figure out if and how to add this to the
> internal table
> in the X server for the next version.
>
> Have you tried the XF86Config in the meantime?  I'm not
> sure we even
> know yet what that keyboard is called in X11 terms.

I have, see my other post. Gee I didn't think I was such a
rarity! I always wondered why the US-international layout
isn't more popular! IMHO this is the perfect layout for
programmers who also write texts in european languages, i.e.
German, French or Spanish. The german layout is uncomfortable
for C/C++ programmers at least, and for UNIX users in
general. Also it offers no support for writing Spanish or
French prose. And I simply don't want to have to remember
several different keyboard layouts ("where's the dollar sign
today?"). What's needed is a language-neutral layout based on
the US keyboard layout and that is exactly what
US-international is.

Excuse my ranting ;-)

> > I thought that this is exactly what I'm doing.
> Immediately before I
> > call ssh, echo $DISPLAY says: 127.0.0.1:0.0
>
> The idea is that on the Linux side you should than
> automatically have
> a DISPLAY variable like "localhost:10.0" which should work.
>  If you
> don't have that, X11 port forwarding may be disabled in the
> SSH server
> on your Linux box.  Or something else :-((.  You could run
> ssh -v ...
> to see if any error message pop up related to the port
> forwarding.

Nothing that hits the eye. Here's what ssh -v says:
debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth list
127.0.0.1:0.0 2>/dev/null
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for
X11 forwarding.
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication
spoofing.
debug1: channel 0: request x11-req
debug1: channel 0: request shell
debug2: fd 4 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug2: callback done
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072

Doesn't look as if X is disabled, does it?

Cheers
Stefan

Logos und Klingeltöne fürs Handy bei http://sms.yahoo.de