Error: "X server does not support locale"

I'm getting the above error and " cannot set locale modifiers" and I can't
enter any accented characters.
The system is a notebook running W2K. Changing the WM makes no difference
(tested wmaker, openbox).
I even copied my configuration files from a working installation
(NT4/SP6). The Xwin-binary is the same.
Grepping the output of "set" on both machines for "LC_something" reveals
nothing.
Umlauts in bash work on both machines (using .inputrc). I re-installed
xfree86-etc - no difference.

Any hints
hjb