Problems with -multiwindow (was Re: Xterm doesn't work on second display in dual head system)

 --- Alexander Gottwald
<alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de> schrieb: > On Mon,
16 Jun 2003, Stefan Heinzmann wrote:

> > That was a good tip: the -multiplemonitors was missing.
> With
> > it, xterm also works on the secondary screen. However,
> remote
> > KDE is even unhappier than before with it (see my other
> > thread on this list). It crashes XWin on every other
> > mouseclick. Maybe XWin remote with KDE on a dual head
> display
> > is a bad combination?
>
> Do you use the -multiwindow switch? If you use it you can't
> run
> another windowmanager. In multiwindow mode XWin starts its
> own
> windowmanager and the one from KDE will most likely cause
> big
> trouble.
>
> You can start KDE without windowmanager if you start
> ksmserver
> with the parameter -w null.

Sorry for the delayed response, I had to reinstall my entire
Linux system because of a vain and ultimately disastrous
attempt to get rid of package conflicts (unrelated to
XFree86). I'm up and running again and tried your suggestion.

First of all, your suspicion was right. I did use multiwindow
and the window manager clash was causing the grief.

Not using -multiwindow works, but somehow the KDE kicker sits
too low on the screen so that part of it is off-screen.
Somewhere there must be a bug in the geometry calculations.

When using -multiwindow and turning off the KDE window
manager the result is still unusable. Interestingly, the
kicker starts up at the same wrong position as described
above. But at some point during startup it loses its title
bar and wanders upwards to the correct position. Finally when
the KDE desktop appears the kicker disappears or gets hidden.

Also reaction to mouse events is strange, for example right
clicks on the desktop bring up the context menu as expected,
but a following left click to make it disappear again give
the focus to a comletely unrelated windows application. The
next left click brings the focus back to the KDE desktop.

Clicking on the home icon in the top left corner of the KDE
desktop brings up Konqueror, but this crashes XWin.

XWin appears to have some problems with multiwindow
operation. Anyway, it is usable without -multiwindow.

Cheers
Stefan

Logos und Klingeltöne fürs Handy bei http://sms.yahoo.de