Re: X server acting funny when displaying remote KDE session

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Stefan Heinzmann wrote:

> I tried xev a bit more and found that when the mouse is over
> the white square then the keypresses show up as events in the
> protocol window. The Alt key shows up separately, no umlauts
> are shown. Left Alt key and right Alt key are separate.

The white window is the one the receives the events. The protocol
window is just the console for output.

> As I already said: Alt-q doesn't produce any result in Kedit.

alt-q is not defined in the us_intl layout. It only handles the
deadkeys.

> But before we drift off-topic back to xfree: I had a look
> into /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/us_intl and the comments claim that
> there are lots of dead-keys which I don't get. I don't
> understand the format of the file well, and I don't know
> where it is documented, but it seems that each key has 4
> alternatives assigned to it, presumably
> unshifted/shift/alt/alt-shift.

take a look at the tilde key
    key <TLDE> {        [ dead_grave,   dead_tilde      ],
                        [      grave,   asciitilde      ]       };

The first two entries define what should happen whe the key was
pressed without and with shift pressed. The next two entries define
the resulting keys if the modeswitch key (alt-gr) was pressed too.

for the ä this would be
    key <AD01> { [ q, Q], [ adiaeresis, Adiaeresis ] };

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de