Re: X server acting funny when displaying remote KDE session

 --- Alexander Gottwald
<alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de> schrieb: > On Wed,
18 Jun 2003, Stefan Heinzmann wrote:

> > I tried xev a bit more and found that when the mouse is
> over
> > the white square then the keypresses show up as events in
> the
> > protocol window. The Alt key shows up separately, no
> umlauts
> > are shown. Left Alt key and right Alt key are separate.
>
> The white window is the one the receives the events. The
> protocol
> window is just the console for output.

Ok, got that, thanks.

> > As I already said: Alt-q doesn't produce any result in
> Kedit.
>
> alt-q is not defined in the us_intl layout. It only handles
> the
> deadkeys.

So is it true that the layout I would like isn't currently
available in Xfree86? If so, wouldn't it be a good idea to
add it to the standard distribution? Apart from the
convenience for Windows users, I really think this layout is
brilliant for both multi-language work and programming.

> > But before we drift off-topic back to xfree: I had a look
> > into /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/us_intl and the comments claim
> that
> > there are lots of dead-keys which I don't get. I don't
> > understand the format of the file well, and I don't know
> > where it is documented, but it seems that each key has 4
> > alternatives assigned to it, presumably
> > unshifted/shift/alt/alt-shift.
>
> take a look at the tilde key
>     key <TLDE> {        [ dead_grave,   dead_tilde      ],
>                         [      grave,   asciitilde      ]
>     };
>
> The first two entries define what should happen whe the key
> was
> pressed without and with shift pressed. The next two
> entries define
> the resulting keys if the modeswitch key (alt-gr) was
> pressed too.
>
> for the ä this would be
>     key <AD01> { [ q, Q], [ adiaeresis, Adiaeresis ] };

Well in this case the right Alt key on my keyboard isn't
treated as Altgr, since I'm not getting the correct result
for the second pair of entries.

I have discovered that KDE has its own Keyboard layout
configuration tool. It is fairly flexible, but I wonder
whether anyone thought that through properly. Setting the
keyboard mapping in KDE means that I get the same mapping
regardless whether I am logged in locally or remotely,
irrespective of the actual keyboard that is connected. Here
on my little network the Linux box has a german keyboard
while the Windows/cygwin box has a US keyboard. And what good
is it that you have to configure the keyboard in several
different places? I think I need to post to the KDE mailing
lists...

Cheers
Stefan

Logos und Klingeltöne fürs Handy bei http://sms.yahoo.de