Re: US-Intl keymap (was: Re: X server acting funny when displayingremote KDE session)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Stefan Heinzmann wrote:

> The right-hand Alt key is used as a shift-key to produce
> alternate characters together with most of the other keys in
> the same way as the AltGr key on german keyboards.
> The left Alt key keeps is traditional meaning. Below are the
> characters that can be produced using this method. The four
> lines show the character unshifted, Shift, AltGr, and
> AltGr-Shift.

This is already defined. The right alt key should be defined
as the Mode_switch key, which switches to the second (the Alt-Gr)
mapping for keys.

> 1234567890-=\`qwertyuiop[]asdfghjkl;'zxcvbnm,./
> !@#$%^&*()_+|~QWERTYUIOP{}ASDFGHJKL:"ZXCVBNM<>?
> ¡²³¤?¼½¾??¥×¬ äåé®þüúíóö«»áßð     ø¶´æ ©  ñµç ¿
> ¹  £       ÷¦ ÄÅÉ ÞÜÚÍÓÖ  Á§Ð     Ø°¨Æ ¢  Ñ Ç

> o  How do I specify which keys a dead key combines with and
> what the resulting character is for each of those
> combinations?

every symbol in the list has a symbolic name assigned.
eg adiaresis (or something like that). For every column
you have to create an entry

 key <KEYNAME> { [ row_1, row_2 ], [ row_3, row_4 ] };

and substitute the row_x with the symbol names for the character
in that row.

> o  Each character seems to have a symbolic name which I have
> to use in the keymap (such as 'asciitilde'). Where is the
> mapping between symbolic name and character code documented?

in /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h

> o  The keys themselves also have symbolic names, where is the
> mapping between key scan code and symbolic name documented?

/etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86

This is the mapping to the raw keyboard scancodes. But it's easier
to take the us map and add the second mappings to the exising mappings

bye
	ago