Re: US-Intl keymap (was: Re: X server acting funny when displaying remote KDE session)

 --- Alexander Gottwald
<alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de> schrieb: > On Thu,
19 Jun 2003, Stefan Heinzmann wrote:

> > The right-hand Alt key is used as a shift-key to produce
> > alternate characters together with most of the other keys
> in
> > the same way as the AltGr key on german keyboards.
> > The left Alt key keeps is traditional meaning. Below are
> the
> > characters that can be produced using this method. The
> four
> > lines show the character unshifted, Shift, AltGr, and
> > AltGr-Shift.
>
> This is already defined. The right alt key should be
> defined
> as the Mode_switch key, which switches to the second (the
> Alt-Gr)
> mapping for keys.

I tried that and it didn't work for some reason. I defined
the AltGr key combinations by modifying xkb/symbols/us_intl,
which I attach. I modified xkb/keymap/xfree86 to include a
us_intl_sh variant that pulls in my new file and modified
XF86Config to use this variant. But it hasn't changed from
before. Is there something I missed in installation?

> > 1234567890-=\`qwertyuiop[]asdfghjkl;'zxcvbnm,./
> > !@#$%^&*()_+|~QWERTYUIOP{}ASDFGHJKL:"ZXCVBNM<>?
> > ¡²³¤?¼½¾??¥×¬ äåé®þüúíóö«»áßð     ø¶´æ ©  ñµç ¿
> > ¹  £       ÷¦ ÄÅÉ ÞÜÚÍÓÖ  Á§Ð     Ø°¨Æ ¢  Ñ Ç
>
> > o  How do I specify which keys a dead key combines with
> and
> > what the resulting character is for each of those
> > combinations?
>
> every symbol in the list has a symbolic name assigned.
> eg adiaresis (or something like that). For every column
> you have to create an entry
>
>  key <KEYNAME> { [ row_1, row_2 ], [ row_3, row_4 ] };
>
> and substitute the row_x with the symbol names for the
> character
> in that row.

That's the way how AltGr-combinations are defined, right? I
did that in the attached file. My question however was how to
define the dead-key combinations. How do I define for example
that the apostrophe followed by a lowercase c results in a
ccedille?

> > o  Each character seems to have a symbolic name which I
> have
> > to use in the keymap (such as 'asciitilde'). Where is the
> > mapping between symbolic name and character code
> documented?
>
> in /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h

I didn't have that installed, thanks for the hint. Do I
assume correctly that the defines use the Unicode encodings?

For completeness I would need the Unicode code points 0x2018
and 0x2019, which aren't defined as far as I can tell.

> > o  The keys themselves also have symbolic names, where is
> the
> > mapping between key scan code and symbolic name
> documented?
>
> /etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86
>
> This is the mapping to the raw keyboard scancodes. But it's
> easier
> to take the us map and add the second mappings to the
> exising mappings

Does the mapping in the attached file make sense?

Cheers
Stefan

Logos und Klingeltöne fürs Handy bei http://sms.yahoo.de