Re: US-Intl keymap

 --- Alexander Gottwald
<alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de> schrieb: > On Fri,
20 Jun 2003, Stefan Heinzmann wrote:
> > entry in xkb/keymap/xfree86 as follows:
>
> I also added an entry to xkb/keymap.dir
>
> > But it doesn't seem to have the slightest effect on the
> > keybord behaviour. Have you got an idea what could be
> wrong?
>
> The best is to test it with xkbcomp
> xkbcomp -xkm -m us_intl_sh /etc/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86
> localhost:0.0
>
> This will produce errors if something goes wrong. I've not
> tested
> to set the map via the configfile but with setxkbmap
> us_intl_sh.

Cool, now it works. A syntax error had slipped into
us_intl_sh when I modified it according to your findings.
Thanks a lot for your help! I don't want to think about how
long it would have taken me to find out myself.

There's a minor niggle left, however: Under Windows the
behaviour of the dead keys is somewhat different. When a dead
key is followed by a kepress with which it doesn't combine,
the character of the dead key is generated followed by the
character of the key pressed thereafter. For example if I
press the apostrophe ' followed by the letter p the result is
'p. Under X the apostrophe is lost and just the p is printed.
If I press the apostrophe twice under Windows then two
apostrophes are emitted, whereas under X a single apostrophe
is emitted. Is there a way to fiddle with this behaviour
under X to make it work in the same fashion as under Windows?

Cheers
Stefan

Logos und Klingeltöne fürs Handy bei http://sms.yahoo.de