Dead key and mode shift key behaviour

The attachment is a question from the cygwin-xfree list which
appears to be more appropriate for this list.

I wanted to add another question to it:

I noticed when working with the right Alt key as a mode-shift
key that it matters whether Shift is pressed after or before
the right Alt-key. In order to get the correct behaviour, I
have to press the Alt key first, then the Shift key. The
other way round leads to the Alt key getting ignored. This is
different from how the keys behave under Windows. Is this
intentional or is it a bug?

Cheers
Stefan

Logos und Klingeltöne fürs Handy bei http://sms.yahoo.de
--- Begin Message ---
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Stefan Heinzmann wrote:

> There's a minor niggle left, however: Under Windows the
> behaviour of the dead keys is somewhat different. When a dead
> key is followed by a kepress with which it doesn't combine,
> the character of the dead key is generated followed by the
> character of the key pressed thereafter. For example if I
> press the apostrophe ' followed by the letter p the result is
> 'p. Under X the apostrophe is lost and just the p is printed.
> If I press the apostrophe twice under Windows then two
> apostrophes are emitted, whereas under X a single apostrophe
> is emitted. Is there a way to fiddle with this behaviour
> under X to make it work in the same fashion as under Windows?

Thats beyond my knowledge. This is a topic for the real xfree86
mailing list: http://www.xfree86.org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86/

bye
	ago
--