Re: rdesktop.exe session on an X-terminal?

Andrew Markebo wrote:

> hi!
>
> Just a couple of quick thoughts here..
>
> * I don't think rdesktop can display the xfree sessions from windows.

Indeed, this was never the intent

> * xfree can't send stuff like word and so on from windows to a
>   x-session on other machine. What is sent is to be X-applications.

That is of course true too

Here is our original post which in which I will insert comments
to elaborate a bit:

(This is a restatement of our previous post requesting info on any
Cygwin/X11R6/rdesktop experience...thanks to Chris January for the
rdesktop.exe binary)

Greetings:

We need to configure a single-host Win2k Terminal Server solution;
this machine should provide Windows desktops on X-terminals.

>>> In other forums several people have reported working on the
    effort to build a Cygwin/X11R6/rdesktop solution <<<

On a test machine using Cygwin/Xfree86 one may telnet from the
X-terminal and establish an xterm (bash) session but then invoking
'rdesktop.exe' will not open a session on the remote display.
'rdesktop.exe' does open a session window on the console display if
invoked from a console command prompt.

>>> Indeed an interesting artifact is that one may open an
'rdesktop.exe' session in a 'bash window' under an 'rdesktop' session
managed by a Unix host, said session running an an X-terminal...eg.
an rdesktop.exe session within an rdesktop session <<<

'rdesktop' running on a Unix host works well to provide a Windows
session desktop on an X-terminal however we need to create a
configuration which doesn't require a separate Unix host to
provide X11 services.

>>> I was very impressed after porting rdesktop to our AT&T SysV/386
R4.0 host; performance is snappy and the desktop is rendered
flawlessly except for backing store management on certain X-servers
This host has no X-server and only manages X-terminals.  We routinely
use rdesktop to login to a Win2k/TS box under multiple accounts <<<

Also XDM running on Cygwin/Xfree86 will produce a 'willing to manage'
broadcast and if the Win host is selected it does present a login
screen but fails on authentication.  Has anyone made XDM work?

>>> sure would be nice <<<

As you can see our hope is to build an alternative to Citrix
to present Win2k desktop sessions on X-terminals using only one
Win2k host.  We can now do that using one Win2k host and one
unix host to manage the X-terminals.

Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum