Re: rdesktop.exe session on an X-terminal?

Andrew Markebo wrote:

> rdesktop.exe, compiled how? It needs to be compiled with X11 support
> to be displayed on the X11 terminal.

Indeed...I didn't know anyone would remove X11 suppoprt from the
sources: Chris January provided the binary and said it was built
on Cygwin tools from the 1.2.0 sources (which is the same codebase
we used to compile 'rdestop' on our Unix hosts).

> [...]
>
> | As you can see our hope is to build an alternative to Citrix
> | to present Win2k desktop sessions on X-terminals using only one
> | Win2k host.  We can now do that using one Win2k host and one
> | unix host to manage the X-terminals.

> A doublecheck, desktop sessions is windows desktop sessions with
> normal windows apps?

Yes

> You think that rdesktp.exe can do this? Provide
> the sessions on the 'server'?

On the X-server (running on an X-terminal or X-server under some
other OS) ...the standard X11 nomenclature: X-server is the
display component, X-clients are the applications.

> If so, just a quick thought how come you think (could be true, could
> be false) rdesktop.exe can provide and export the 'session' of one
> 'virtual' windows session to a remote host? I thought it was just a
> viewer, and rdesktop.exe is used to see sessions on other computers, a
> client, not a server?

Indeed 'rdesktop' in any of it's ports is supposed to be an RDP client
for the X-Windows system to support Windows Terminal Server sessions
on remote X-displays. Of course the 'remote' display can be a local
X-server on a host running Cygwin/Xfree86 when you invoke 'rdesktop.exe'
to point at 127.0.0.1 (for testing).

> BTW Isn't there a vnc-port that does a bit of this? Can do
> sessions.. or is it that it can send just windows..

I've read the chatter about starting instances of VNC as system
services under Win2K, one for each TS session, to provide some
of the same functionality, but response is very slow and the
desktop isn't native and there are other problems.

Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum