xinit: No such file or directory

Hello,

I'm running into a problem which seems to show up
often in the mailing list.  I think I've tried
all the suggestions there.  When I use startx to
start an X server, I get the message:

   + xinit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc --

   giving up.
   xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):
           unable to connect to X server
   xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
   + [ x != x ]

I only run into this problem as nonadministrator.
I have /usr/X11R6/bin in my path, and my Xfree
installation includes XFree86-xserv.

Before I discovered that nonadministrators have this
problem, I had my own ~/.xinitrc.  It was identical to
the system default except at the end, where it called
my own script to start my own xclients.  To debug the
problem, I changed line 1 of .xinitrc to "#!/bin/sh -x"
to echo all commands, and also explicit diagnostic
"echo" commands at the top.  Since none of this echoing
gets printed out, I conclude that ~/.xinitrc is never
reached.

To further troubleshoot why this problem only afflicts
nonadministrators, I got rid of ~/.xinitrc in both
cases.  The discrepancy persists, even though both are
using the system .xinitrc.  I checked that the relevant
files were readable and executable by everyone:

-rwxrwxrwx+ 1 ???????? Users 8704 Jan 21  2002 /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit
-rwxrwxrwx+ 1 ???????? Users  667 Jun 27 04:08 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc

The timestamp of xinitrc is recent because I made it
run according to "sh -x" for troubleshooting.  But as
can be seen from the error message above, it seems that
xinitrc doesn't even get a chance to run (i.e. same as
~/.xinitrc).

I tried to put "sh -x" in the xinit program and find
where things go wrong in there.  But xinit is actually
the binary executable xinit.exe.  It took a while to
figure out why I couldn't use "less" or "cat" on
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit.  Because it is not a script, I
can't stick in diagnostic statements.

I tried startxwin.bat and xwin:

   $ startxwin.bat
   Access is denied.
   startxwin.bat - Starting on Windows NT/2000/XP

   $ xwin

In both cases, nothing happens.  Preferrably, I would
like to get startx working.  Thanks if anyone can
advise on what to try next to find the problem.

Fred
--
Fred Ma, fma@doe.carleton.ca
Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics