Re: xinit: No such file or directory

Boy I must be getting old.  I sent this to the
framemaker newsgroups by mistake...

> From Andrew M.
> To: fma@doe.carleton.ca
> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:10:45 +0200
>
> Just one more small.. what happens if you run "sh -x
> startxwin.sh" to see what goes wrong??
>
>     /Andy

Hi, Andy,

The following is the output from "sh -x startxwin.sh",
issued from a bash environment.

   + export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
   + PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/fma/bin:/usr/local/bin
            :/usr/bin:/bin:/c/WINNT/system32:/c/WINNT
            :/c/WINNT/system32/WBEM:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
   + ssh-agent
   + eval SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-DYPu1408/agent.1408;
                        export SSH_AUTH_SOCK;
                        SSH_AGENT_PID=1552;
                        export SSH_AGENT_PID;
                        echo Agent pid 1552;
   + SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-DYPu1408/agent.1408
   + export SSH_AUTH_SOCK
   + SSH_AGENT_PID=1552
   + export SSH_AGENT_PID
   + echo Agent pid 1552
   Agent pid 1552

   + rm -rf /tmp/.X11-unix
   rm: cannot remove directory `/tmp/.X11-unix':
      Permission denied

   + XWin -screen 0 1024 768
   + twm
   + xsetroot -solid aquamarine4

   XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on
         X server "127.0.0.1:0.0" after 0 requests (0
         known processed) with 0 events remaining.

   + xterm -n xterm-1 -j -ls -sb -sl 500 -rightbar
      -geometry +361+0 -e bash
   + exit

   XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on
         X server "127.0.0.1:0.0" after 0 requests (0
         known processed) with 0 events remaining.
   xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0

I've prettified the output by wrapping long lines and
spacing stuff out.  The output differs slightly if the
command is issued from tcsh.  Basically, all the export
commands are replaced by setenv, and there is an error
saying that setenv is not found.  I didn't bother to
pursue the csh route.

I'm not sure if the references to ssh stuff is Xwin's
own use of ssh, or if it is related to my use of ssh to
connect to a VNC server.  The VNC server merely echos
the contents of localhost:0 to an external viewer
(another program).  This should not be visible to
the X server.  I use the same setup as administrator
with no problems.  In any case, the errors seem to
occur later on in the script.

The error from being unable to remove /tmp/.X11-unix is
strange.  Here are the details of that directory:

   drwxr-xr-x 2 Name None 0 Jan 29 04:57 /tmp/.X11-unix
   srwxr-xr-x 1 Name None 0 Jun 27 16:11 /tmp/.X11-unix/X0

Note that if I just "ls -Fp /tmp/.X11-unix", the file X0
shows up as "X0=".  The man page for "ls" doesn't say
what the "=" means.

I captured the output from the same command issued as
administrator.  Needless to say, none of the error
messages were present.  I also did not get a permission
denied in removing /tmp/.X11-unix.  I think this is the
key difference, as the only other differences in the
output are different numbers in the messages related to
ssh agent, and different home directory in the PATH.

On the other hand, the permissions for /tmp/.X11-unix
and X0 are exactly the same as on another PC which
doesn't experience the same problem.  On that PC, the
nonadministrator can startx without trouble.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion on how to further
sleuth down the problem.  And thanks to anyone who can
suggest something further.

Fred
--
Fred Ma, fma@doe.carleton.ca
Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics