some problems concerning the installation under win xp

I've followed the instruction in 'Cygwin/XFree86 User’s Guide' Harold L Hunt, II
It goes pretty well with the my first-time installation on a PC of win98. But as I turned to win xp(chinese) and do exactly the same thing, exceptions rises as follows:

zyl@zyl ~
$ startx
[: and: unknown operand
[: and: unknown operand
export: Settings/zyl/.Xauthority: bad variable name

[: and: unknown operand
[: and: unknown operand
login:  fatal IO error 113 (Connection aborted) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
xterm:  fatal IO error 113 (Connection aborted) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
xterm:  fatal IO error 113 (Connection aborted) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"

xinit:  connection to X server lost.

waiting for X server to shut down X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or
server shutdown).
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 67 requests (58 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

zyl@zyl ~
$

The prompts showed at the X server are also abnormal, for example: \[\033]...
It seems like there is something wrong with the escape strings in C.
Could any one tell me what is wrong with my installation of cygwin and what should I do to settle this problem. Could it be ascribed to the different site I selected when downloading?

Another question..
when I run ns in the X server, a message is showed saying that 'When configured, ns found the right version of perl in but it doesn't seem to be there anymore, so ns will fall back on running the first perl in your path. the wrong version of perl may break the test suites...'
I did not install ns at the home directory because the installation there failed for there is space in the path string of home under win xp. Will this may difference when running ns? And how and what should I do to fix the warning of perl?

zhangyiling
2003.7.17