Re: X server crashed when Netscape 4 & 7 visiting sites

This is probably a well know problem with the Flash plugin running on a remote X server. The problem has been around forever and no one seems willing to take it on. Whether the problem is Flash, XFree86, Netscape/Mozilla, or some combination seems unclear (at least to me). My impression (guess) was that the core problem is with Flash, but the fact that it brings down Netscape/Mozilla is a Netscape/Mozilla problem. The fact that the problem doesn't occur with Exceed suggests that at least part of the issue lies with XFree86.

If you're using KDE, one workaround is to use Konqueror when visiting sites using Flash. Even though Flash doesn't work with Konqueror displayed on a remote X server either, at least it doesn't crash Konqueror or X (at least not for me).

I just wish someone would fix this annoying problem.

Tom