Re: Cygwin installer failing in Windows 95b

Stuart,

Replies inline below.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Stuart Halliday wrote:

> > > I placed the setup.exe and the packages folder containing the ftp
> > > mirror files onto the C:\cyg folder of my Windows 95b machine. About
> > > 73MB of files.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > On this panel, it says in the title 'Select Local Package Directory'.
> > > But the text in here says "Select a directory where you want setup to
> > > store the installation files it downloads. The directory will be
> > > created if it does not exist."
> >
> > Enter c:\cyg here.
>
> So how come entering c:\cyg\packages is wrong?

Actually, "c:\cyg\packages" is right, if I understand your directory
structure correctly.  FWICS, you had

    c:\cyg\
          \setup.exe
          \packages\
                   \ftp%3a%2f%2fcygwin.mirrors.pair.com\
                                                       \setup.ini
                                                       \release\...

> I've got my package at
>
> c:\cyg\packages\ftp%3a%2f%2fcygwin.mirrors.pair.com
>
> I tried c:\cyg
>
> But it still does NOT make a difference.

If my diagram above is correct, "c:\cyg" will NOT work.

> I've now tried this in a Windows 2000 sp4 machine and it is playing up too.
> It only lists +All and within it +Misc.
>
> Sounds to me the Installer is broken.

No, the installer works as advertized.  You see, it gets the categories
for the packages from setup.ini.  Once you delete setup.ini, it places all
packages in "Misc" (by default).

> > It is a slight miss wording.  For local installations this is the
> > directory where the packages are.
>
> Any hope this is could be corrected?

Well, this would involve making a dynamic dialog out of a static one.
Not very high on the priority list, compared to, say, a resizeable chooser
window, which is in active development right now.  Patches are always
thoughtfully considered, though (with <cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com>
being the proper place to submit them).

As for your original problem, try restoring the setup.ini file (or letting
setup.exe download it anew), and look at /var/log/setup.log.full and
/var/log/setup.log after a failed install for any clues on what went
wrong.  If these files aren't present in /var/log, try looking for them in
the directory you start setup.exe from ("c:\cyg" would be my guess).  It
also would help if you posted the exact message about the missing DLLs.
BTW, the correct list for this discussion is <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
(in part because most setup.exe developers don't read the cygwin-xfree
list).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/