Re: 4.3.0.1 Possible Release and Keeping XFree86 CVS Up to Date

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> I am working on pulling the 4.3.0.1 tree:
>
> export CVS_RSH=ssh
> export CVSROOT=anoncvs@anoncvs.xfree86.org:/cvs
> cvs -z3 checkout -r xf-4_3_0_1 xc > cvs-checkout.log 2>&1
>

> I will be copying over the latest hw/xwin files and a few misc. patches
> and building the 4.3.0.1 tree for possible release.  I am going to try
> my hand at packaging this up again to see if I run into any problems.
> If all goes well, I might post it as a test release... but it will
> probably be a test release dependent upon Cygwin1.dll v 1.5.1 (or
> whatever the most recent release is).

> As for keeping the XFree86 CVS tree up to date, am I right that I should
> be sending patches against XFree86 CVS xf-4_3-branch, instead of the
> xf-4_3_0_1 snapshot?  Could I do this with:
>
> cd xc/programs/Xserver/hw
> cvs diff -U3 -r xf-4_3-branch xwin > xwin.diff

the xf-4_3_0_1 snapshot is part of the xf-4_3 branch. So if you checkout
the snapshot, you have the latest from the xf-4_3 branch. A simple cvs diff
will create a diff against the xf-4_3 branch.

> The main question here is can I make diffs against the specified branch
> rather than the branch that I have locally?  I assume the answer is yes,
> but some confirmation from others before I waste time looking into it
> would be helpful.

I think cvs diff -r tagname will do this. But it also includes all changes
made in both branches.

bye
	ago
--